A Machine Gun Company was attached to each Infantry Brigade and their subsequent Division.
|Brigade attached to:||228th Brigade|
|Division attached to:||28th Division|
|Formed from the:||Machine Gun Section of 2nd (Garrison) Bn. King's (Liverpool) Regiment|
|Machine Gun Section of 2nd/5th (Garrison) Bn. Durham Light Infantry|
|Machine Gun Section of 1st (Garrison) Bn. Seaforth Highlanders|
|Machine Gun Section of 22nd Bn. Rifle Brigade|
The 228th M.G. Coy. was formed on 11 September 1917. It is likely to have been formed from the Machine Gun Sections of the listed infantry battalions.
As a unit of the 28th Infantry Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.
|16 October||Capture of Bairakli and Kumli [XVI. Corps].|
It remained as part of the 228th Bde., yet on 20 November 1917, it was renumbered 277th MG Coy.