Formed on the 12th November, 1914, the Motor Machine Gun Service was organised into Motor Machine Gun Batteries and was part of the Royal Field Artillery. On establishment, the MMGS formed a training centre at the National Rifle Association ranges at Bisley, Surrey.
All personnel became part of the Motor branch of the Machine Gun Corps on its formation in October, 1915.
The strength of the Machine Gun Corps (Motor) was recorded from January, 1915, until March, 1920, on a month-by-month basis.
At its peak, in April, 1915, it consisted of 141 officers and 3,758 other ranks - a total of 3,899 all ranks. A more detailed analysis is available on the MGC strength page.
It appears that some numerical references for MMG units are duplicated. The same reference appears to be used for both units equipped with light armoured cars and motor cycles.
|8th||14th (Light) Division (m/c equipped)
1st Cavalry Division (LAC equipped)
|12th||17th (Northern) Division|
|15th||18th (Eastern) Division