Home -> British Service -> Army -> 18th Hussars

Units That Used The Vickers

The 18th Hussars:

The 18th Hussars was a Cavalry Regiment that would have had an MG Section as part of its Regimental Headquarters.

As a unit of the 1st Cavalry Division, it will have taken part in the following battles and engagements.

The Cavalry Division had no permanent existence before the outbreak of War. The units of which it was composed on mobilization were quartered at various stations in England and Ireland, viz:- the 1st Cav. Bde., VII. Bde., R.H.A., 1st Field Sqd., R.E., 1st Signal Squadron, and No. 1 Signal Troop, at Aldershot; the 2nd Cav. Bde. and No. 2 Signal Troop, at Tidworth; the 3rd Cav. Bde., II. Bde., R.H.A., 4th Field Troop, 4th Cav. Bde., and No. 4 Signal Troop, were stationed at Canterbury, Shorncliffe, and London. The division crossed to France between the 15th and 18th August, concentrated to the East and South-east of Mauberge between the 18th and 20th August, and began to move forward on the 21st.

Throughout the War the 1st Cavalry Division served on the Western Front in France and Belgium, and was engaged in the following operations:-

1914
23 and 24 AugustBattle of Mons.
24 to 05 SeptemberRETREAT FROM MONS.
24 AugustElouges.
25 AugustSolesmes.
26 AugustBattle of le Cateau [under II. Corps].
01 SeptemberNery.
06 to 09 SeptemberBattle of the Marne.
12 to 15 SeptemberBATTLE OF THE AISNE.
12 October to 02 NovemberBattle of Messines [Cav. Corps].
1915
BATTLES OF YPRES
09 to 13 MayBattle of Frezenberg Ridge [Cav. Corps, until 12 May, then Cav. Force, Second Army].
24 MayBattle of Bellewaarde Ridge [Cav. Corps, Second Army].

The MG Section was brigaded into the 2nd Cavalry MG Squadron on 28 February 1916.


In 1922, the Machine Gun Corps was disbanded and the guns returned to the Cavalry Regiment as a Machine Gun Platoon and then formed as a Machine Gun Company in the early 1930s.

This remained until the formation of Divisional Machine Gun Battalions in 1936 where guns were brigaded once again. As Cavalry regiments were largely mechanised, their use would have been as per the Royal Armoured Corps and Tank Regiment.


Sources

  • Becke, 1934
    This page is published by the Vickers MG Collection & Research Association, a not-for-profit company, limited by guarantee, registered in England, Company Registration Number 07855202 - www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk